Monday 15 March 2010

Desktop Card Holder Template and Tutorial

Ok, so the long awaited Desktop Card Holder template and tutorial is finely here!

There are lots of templates out there in blogland for this and mine was inspired from this post I made here for us Europeans that have different sized c/s to our International partners. I must point out that I haven't bought this template from anyone or seen how it is made, I've purely looked at the one Lauren Meader made and came up with my own from one sheet of A4 cardstock.

So, firstly one template.

This may look a little small on blogger but if you click on the template is should pop out in a separate window. I'm working on it being in a larger format so bear with me for now.

So in short there is no cutting of the A4 sheet of cardstock. Simply score at 2.2cm & 4.4cm on the two long sides and one short side. On the remaining short side score at 6.6cm and 8.8cm. The measurement are a bit odd but it's the best way of doing it to ensure the holder can take the envelopes as well as the cards, trust me it will be perfect. When you've scored your cardstock it will look like this.

You then need to cut out the grayed areas as shown on the template and make cuts on the red lines as also indicated. Your A4 sheet should then look like this. Before you start sticking the box together, fold and crease the bottom score line and using a 1 1/4" circle punch, punch out half a circle. Which will give you this... Score all the remaining score lines ready for sticking together. At this point I would glue the flap at the bottom where the half circle was punched out. I've used Tombow Adhesive to stick the box together because it gives a bit of movement when sticking bits together instead of that instant bond with d/s tape. It also has a mega strong bond when dry.

Once you've done this add glue to the outside of the little tabs. ..and stick to the inside of the box sides. Then add more tombow to the inside of each side and tuck these flaps in place. I used a bone folder with the glue edge flat on a surface to smooth over and ensure a nice firm bond has taken place and there's no inside edges lifting up.Your card holder will then look like this... Finally add more tombow to the inside of the two long tabs........and stick to the outside of the cardholder. And there you have it! This is the decorated cardholder with 3 matching cards. Well I hope you can make use of this and I'd love to see what you've created. You can leave a link with Mr Linky below if you like and I'll pop by and have a look.

Enjoy!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for the fab template, just what i have bee looking for. can't wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great template and clear instructions, my Mother in Law will love this.
Liz G (Do Crafts)

SarahPitts said...

Thanks for the tutorial, this box is wonderful, so pretty. Thank you.
Sarah x

Saxo Stamper said...

Jobe this is just great, beautiful and so clever, thanks for sharing

K x

cardsandacuppa said...

Grerat tutorial, Love the colour combo used too,
Hugs Sarah-Jane xx

Lesley Edmonds said...

Oooo Jo fantastic tutorial - thanks so much. Will have to give this a try.
Lesley x

Jill said...

Jo that is lovely, thanks for the tutorial - love those colours. Jill x

Daphne said...

Wow, thank you for the template! Guess what I'm doing this afternoon!?

Sheila said...

JO, Just discovered your blog via Docrafts forum. This is fab - I can see me making one of these for my old mum - she is always losing her writing papers and cards. Many thanks, Sheila :)X

Cath said...

You are such a clever bunny ! It's gorgeous - I'm so glad you were inspired.

Viv said...

Great tute! Done one and popped it on my blog. Thank you!

Linby said...

great template - well done you for a fab tutorial. must give this a go.
Linbyx

Jane said...

Thanks Jo, I hope I've linked it all right(me and computers just don't mix!!)

Elaine said...

Thanks for the tutorial - great for gifts - just need to finish the rest of my cards to go inside!

Tracey said...

Jo, you are a star. I have been searching for the perfect cardholder for a couple of days and there it is, right on your blog with clear instructions.
Thank you so much, it is really appreciated.
Tracey

SarahLP said...

Ooh this is brilliant! Thanks for sharing, Jo!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Thanks for the template, love the colours you have used.

Eileen Fields said...

Beautiful!!! Have to make this!!

Sharon said...

Hi Jo
Thanks for sharing this tutorial I used it at my class on Saturday. I've put a link to your tutorial on my blog hope thats OK.
Sharon xx
(Julies Jems)

Pam Cherrix said...

Thanks for sharing. Do you know when I can get US measurements for this tutorial? Thanks.